Tuesday, May 09, 2006

the opiates are making me all verklemmpt

Zacharias Moussaoui has attempted to rescind his guilty plea in his now post-sentencing trial for involvement in the 9/11 attacks. According to his affidavit (PDF, affidavit starts on p. 4), the fact that the jury didn’t give him the death sentence made him see the American justice system in a new light.

I awoke to this story on my radio alarm clock this morning, and I find it kind of touching. I was excited when I heard that the jury had passed on the death penalty, for a variety of reasons, and to see a person who is impressed by just treatment to the point of rethinking the entire American justice system is kind of inspiring. It’s also yet another example why treating anti-American extremists within a system of justice is a much better idea than subjecting them to extra-legal detention and torture. As if we really needed another example.

Of course, previous evidence that Moussaoui is a paranoid schizophrenic leads me to think maybe he’s finally gotten on the right dose of anti-psychotics and realizes how batshit crazy his position over the last two years has been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or, it's just another attempt by Z.M. to stay in the news. He desperately needs people to continue talking about him, so he'll try anything. Life in prison without parole, on 23 hours of solitary a day, is exactly the place he needs to be for everybody on the planet to just forget about him. I'm glad we didn't give him what he wanted before, and we're not going to give it to him now.