Sunday, May 07, 2006

elsa's new nemeses: road and car

So I was crossing a street with a fern yesterday and got hit by a car turning right. Fortunately, only the front right corner of the car and tire hit me, so I landed on my well-padded ass with a broken ankle on my left leg and nothing worse. But still, the broken ankle thing sucks ass. The inside of the bone is broken and a bit displaced, which means I need to have surgery to get a couple screws to hold everything in place. That will happen sometime later this week, and it's out-patient surgery that usually takes 30-40 minutes and is done under sedation, so all in all it's an ordeal about equivalent to having my wisdom teeth taken out, without all of that unpleasant gauze in your mouth.

Now my leg is wrapped up in a splint (a "sugar thong splint" according to my two-weeks-away-from-graduating-med-school sister) that is sort of half cast, half ace-bandage mukluk. It's oddly similar in color to my cat, and she seems to have kind of befriended it. At least, that is, opposed to her reaction to me walking on crutches, which is like, "Bizarre six-limbed bionic creature coming through! Run!"

The fern, by the way, survived without any injuries.

6 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Sorry to hear! Dick told us about it last night, but he left out the important detail about the fern.

You left out the part about the $100 bil ...

Anonymous said...

Hey there,sorry to hear about your ankle,must have been scary,I fell down 3 steps and broke my ankle,stuck in a regul;ar cast now and crutches,really sucks,please e-mail me and we can chat if you want,David.ep2121@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

get well soon! let me know if there's anything i can do to help you!!

Anonymous said...

Ack! So did the driver get the apropriate beat-down?


It's also too early in the morning for big words, because I read this as "elsa's new menses."

elsacapuntas said...

i'm not sure what happened to the driver, but rest assured his insurance will be hearing from me.

also, it should be noted that no $100 bill was actually presented, only promised. yet another reason it was the worst bribe ever.

elsacapuntas said...

Yeah, I was told that for this kind of outpatient surgery they just give you a hit of LSD and play some old Mickey Mouse cartoons backwards for you.