Tuesday, May 16, 2006

half-woman, half-machine

Well, the percentages don't quite work out like that, but after getting two stainless steel screws put into my ankle on Thursday, I am at least partially an artificial being. People keep asking if this means I'm going to have super-bionic kickball skills as a result; alas, I kick with my right foot, and the enhancements were on the left.

The surgery went well. The anesthesia involved giving me sedation and then doing a nerve block on my leg, which involves injecting the anesthetic directly into the nerves of your leg. It made all sensation go away in my leg for several hours, which is one of the oddest feelings I have ever experienced. The day after surgery I was whisked away in a van by my family to go to a wedding in Cleveland. The 9-hr car ride was pretty awful, but it was nice to be around a bunch of happy and frequently drunk people who were all willing to wait on me.

I'm finally back at work, and it's nice to feel like a productive member of society again. This broken ankle is decidedly a pain in the ass. I've got to hobble around on crutches for two months. Two months! Since I can't do any sort of physical activity that involves using both feet, I'm going to dedicate myself to creating insane upper-body strength. I will crush all you little men with my bulging arms! Or something.

No comments: