Wednesday, January 24, 2007

garbanzo goodness

chick pea salad

Yesterday I was searching the internets for a recipe for lemon scones, as we had some lemons in the house and I needed to make something quick for the weekly knitting get-together. In the process I discovered Orangette, a food/foodie blog run by a woman in Seattle. She posts recipes (and excellent pictures of the result), I found inspiration in her most recent post about a chick pea salad.

I've actually been making a heated version of this recipe for about a year or so, and it's one of my favorites: heat up olive oil and garlic in a pan, add chickpeas, heat; add salt, pepper, and parmesan. This recipe came from some fellow* on NPR talking about the fact that Americans don't know how to create meals that are tasty or healthy. He provided this as a typical Italaian lunch, which, when served with good bread and a salad, is nutrilicious, easy, and elegant.

So when I saw the Orangette post of essentially the same recipe, except cold, and with a little fresh lemon juice, I couldn't believe I'd never thought to make it that way for lunch. This morning I did, and there was much rejoicing.

*This may have been the same guy who famously carted an entire pig carcass on his Vespa and butchered it in his NYC apartment. I can't remember his name, and one look at the results of a Google search for "butcher pig" had me wishing I had not tried to discover it that way.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

If you search for "pig vespa," however, you find this: http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060501fa_fact

Dunno if it's the same guy or not ...

elsacapuntas said...

indeed, it is he. i don't usually eat pig, but i agree with his belief that people need to acknowledge the fact that meat is animal.