Monday, June 19, 2006

final cast countdown, i hope

I'm in the last less than a week until the cast comes off. At least, on Friday I go back to the ortho, and I'm going to demand that he remove the dirty, itching, deteriorating hot pink thing on my leg or else. I haven't decided what "or else" will entail yet, though it's probably more of the copious weeping variety than the go and buy that smart little handgun i saw at the pawn shop variety.

On Friday it will have been almost seven weeks since the injury and six since surgery. If the cast does come off, I will suddenly be able to experience all sorts of wonderful things that have been missing from my life for the last two months. Such as:

-Showering without a plastic bag over my left leg
-Shaving
-Pedicures
-Scratching the maddening itches
-Swimming

While the first four there are sort of like, "oh, look, now I can have normal hygeine again!" the last one is really a treat. Ah, womblike submersion in a lovely indoor pool...I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

shaving is not "normal hygiene"; it is the dank, mealy hand of patriarchy shaping our bodies into its fantasy!

act like you know, sister!

elsacapuntas said...

damn! i knew i'd be called out on that one by a better feminist than i. i've been trying really hard to not shave, but, especially with all of the exposed flesh of summer, i'm having a hard time getting used to it. i have been conditioned too long!

in fact, the accident that caused the broken ankle occurred during my longest-ever non-shaving period, so the hair under there is really long now. i think it's one of the main causes of the maddening itching. also, shaving will help remove all the dead skin that will have accumulated on the casted leg, again providing sweet, sweet relief from the itching.

sorry if this is all really disgusting, but for me it's just a reality.

on another cast and hair note (damn, this comment is long), sometimes people get growths of thick, dark hair on the skin under the cast, almost as though rogaine had been applied to it. it's really disconcerting, especially if it's on, say, your forearm.