Wednesday, July 25, 2007

selling and buying

The yard sale Saturday went well, netting us a modest bit of cash in small bills to spend on burritos and/or strippers. No one bought my computer desk, even when marked down to $8, so I posted it for sale on Craigslist for $20 this morning. Within half an hour I got six responses, and they keep rolling in. Responding to the various queries is a bit more of a pain than a yard sale, but it's definitely more profitable. I'm thinking maybe we should have done this with a few other pieces of furniture, and then we'd have money for even more burritos and strippers.

Now that I've sold some possessions, it's time to think about buying some new ones, natch! Specifically for me, a bed. I'm working on painting a headboard I got cheap at a thrift store last year, so I need a mattress. Sears.com has some nicely priced sets: a full mattress and box spring for ~$300. I ran to the local Sears at lunch today to try some out for comfort, but their selection sucked. The only had a couple of mattresses on display, and most of them were $500-900. "WTF? " I thought. A little Google searching and the always enlightening Seth Stevenson gave me the straight dope: all mattresses are basically the same, and it doesn't really matter what kind of mattress you sleep on anyway, so buy the cheapest one available. And so I happily shall.

No comments: