Monday, July 16, 2007

transit woes

Being in Boston for a week and a half (more on that later) has already spoiled me: I am completely put out by the lameness of Geometrically-shaped Region's public transportation. I haven't had much need to take it, and the only time I have - the special express from Ex-industrial City to the State Fair - was very satisfying. However, circumstances are such that I will be living with my parents in Sprawling Suburban Helltown for about a month while I wait I'm working in Ex-Industrial City. I really want to sell my car to get some cash, and I really don't want to have to make a 25-minute (one-way) commute twice a day.

I checked out the website of the local transit authority, which is only buses. First of all, the so-called trip planner they link to is pretty crappy as well as totally depressing: according to their calculations, it will take me 1 hour and 18 minutes to travel from my parents house to the main transit terminal, which is only about 7 miles from their house. Mind you, this is not 1 hour and 18 minutes to work, which is semi-reasonable: I'd have another 30 minutes on the bus before reaching my final destination. Plus, I'd have to walk 2.4 miles to the nearest bus stop, which doesn't have so much as a bench to sit on.

I could ride my bike to the main terminal and then take the bus, which would give me that double whammy of exercise and getting to work accomplished in one fell swoop. 7 miles of bike riding in the southern summer heat and humidity would definitely necessitate showering, though, and I don't have access to any shower facilities at work.

Transit system, you are lame.

No comments: