Friday, July 20, 2007

makin' like the computer peoples

One of the things I'm selling at the yard sale tomorrow is my old Compaq PC that my parents bought for me in 1999 for college. It was never a great computer, but it's held up surprisingly well over the years. I hope someone will want to pay $5 for the component parts (monitor, box, accessories) or $15 for the whole package. I like to think it would be a good old computer for someone who just needs to do word processing and access the Interwebs, but I'd be just as happy to hand it over to someone who wants to make art out of it or take out their work-related frustrations on it with a baseball bat a la Office Space.

I had a notion I'd want to wipe all my data off the hard drive, and the ever-knowledgeable and patient Jason! pointed me to Darik's Boot and Nuke. It all seemed very esoteric, but after a couple of tries DBAN started up and wiped everything from my hard drive. This morning I reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro so someone can use the PC for general PC things if they wish. I backed up the drivers for my sound card and ethernet card before wiping the hard drive, but I'm not sure if I need to reinstall them, or if I do, where to put them.

Overall, I'm rather proud of myself, though I imagine this sort of thing is laughably simple to the initiated.

No comments: