Tuesday, March 13, 2007

mystery fabric

westfalenstoffe_hahnchen smaller

In my pondering of what sort of fabric would behoove a spring/summer dress, I've become obsessed with Westfalenstoffe. Westfalenstoffe (which, I think, roughly translates to "fabric from Westphalia") is a kind of cotton fabric from eastern Germany. The designs combine geomtery and folk motifs in amazing repititions, and remind me of Paul Klee

westfalenstoffe_piepenkerl

The mystery is not so much locating the fabric - I discovered it among the many fine offerings at Reprodepot.com, source of the amazing cubicle fabric - but finding out something about its history. The manufacturer of the fabric (I think there is only one..) says this about it:

The workshop for Westfalenstoffe has been successful for more than 75 years.

It was found by german state-prize winner Professor Hanne Nuete Kaemmerer and other notable designer.

The designs are influenced by the typical art and traditional way of living found in the westphalian area of Germany.

Some patterns designed in the 1930´s are still part of the current collection and remain just as popular as when they were first designed.


But I can't find any other information on the innernets about Westfalenstoffe or Prof. Kaemmerer there (also, apparently, spelled Hanne-Nute Kammerer). My curiosity is piqued.

My dad travels to Germany regularly on business, and he'll be heading there in April. I think I'm going to send him on a mission to get me a few yards (meters?) of Westfalenstoffe, based on my guess that it's relatively common there and would be cheaper than buying it from a U.S. website and paying for shipping. Plus, it's fun to send people on international shopping errands for you.

No comments: