Monday, August 20, 2007

who sells handmade cards in our fair city?

I need to send out some very tardy thank you cards to the kind people who wrote letters of recommendation for me for my MFA apps. They are brilliant and creative people, so I want to send them something handmade and out of the ordinary. In Boston I saw a few amazing letterpress cards in local gift shops, but for some reason neglected to buy them (probably I was distracted by a shiny object).

I haven't been able to find anything like that in our fair city. At least not the point of the geometric shape that is Ex-industrial Town. Does anyone know where I can get some?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There are no cool letterpress cards by local people that I know about. I also saw awesome lp cards in Minneapolis and did not buy them. What is wrong with us? The best card place around is Cameron's at U Mall. Scrap Ex has weird cards. You should make a quilt collage and stick it on some card stock yourself. I have tons of blank cards/envelopes if you want to do that.

Lisa B. said...

In Our Fair City, I'm wondering if perhaps Vaguely Reminiscent on Ninth Street may have what you need. I also seem to remember someone having some at the Farmers market ... or maybe it was the craft market that used to set up across the street when the FM was still in the parking lot.

It seems to me that I've seen a place that sells such things in the Big Stodgy City To Our East, but now I'm drawing a blank. Maybe it was at Cameron Village? Or on Glenwood Avenue? City Market? Dunno.

I think I don't know where to buy such things because if I ever need them I just make them myself.

elsacapuntas said...

Well, you women have inspired me to make them myself. Ms. Kelly, it would be wonderful to have some of your cards/envelopes, as mine are all packed away in a storage pod.

But truly, there is a niche here to be filled by the crafty and entrepreneurial.