Monday, August 13, 2007

suburb adventures

ruralsuburban

This is what a turn on my planned bike route in Sprawling Suburb - where I'm holed up with the 'rents until I leave for Boston in a couple weeks - looks like from a satellite. I did a modified version of this ride with my dad last night, and it took us through some lovely rural area with farm houses and small fields of some sort of late-summer crop (I'm thinking potatoes). That, and a new public library stuck in the middle of a field, cookie-cutter McMansion developments, and a lots of upturned dirt being prepared for building yet another housing development.

The combination (or, I guess, transition of) rural and suburban is fascinating, and it's warmed me a bit to Sprawling Suburb. I really want to start taking photos of it, and now I just have to get my ass outside with a camera in hand. The satellite photo of it is even great. I love the way those suburban neighborhoods look from the sky: like teeth? or a microscopic organism? or a deformed sprocket?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny: the rural bits sometimes never entirely disappear. We live something like 50 miles inside the Atlanta metropole (I don't know if that's really true, but I can bike to the center of downtown in 30 minutes and it takes about 1 1/2 hours to drive out of the suburbs when leaving town). Yet if I bike ten minutes in the other direction it gets completely country. Without the fields, obviously, but once scrapyards are under enough kudzu, who can tell the difference?

Lisa B. said...

Hmmm, potatoes in NC are mainly grown in the coastal plain. So I don't think those were potatoes ... maybe sweet potatoes, but those are also grown more down east than around here. Around here you're more likely to see tobacco and soybeans. Soybeans are typically harvested in the late fall, so maybe that's your crop. It's scary that I know this stuff. You could tell me you saw a goat and I could probably tell you exactly what kind it was (around here they're most likely be Boers or Boer crosses, raised for meat.)

elsacapuntas said...

Oooh, goats! Do you also know your llamas? Your knowledge of agriculture is quite impressive. After a quick search on google, i'm going to go with your suggestion that they are sweet potatoes. Yum!

Anonymous said...

sweet potatoes are gross!