Monday, April 17, 2006

land-mf-lord

Was it Marx who suggested that the landlords are the most heinous species in the capitalist system? Damn fucking right. Yesterday I attempted to run both a coffee maker and iron off of the power strip my computer is plugged into, and it was too much for the old, feeble electircal system to handle. Some breaker tripped and half of the power is out in my house. Which wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, except I live in crappy-ass old duplex with, apparently, the most well-hidden breaker box in the world. It being Sunday when this happened, I called the emergency maintenance number and left a message: just tell me where the fucking breaker box is and I'll be happy. I never got a call back. Today I called the landlord's office. Hm, the woman on the line wondered, is that box inside or outside? I can't remember. And all of their maintenance people are out today. And she can't quite imagine getting the landlord to fork over the $45 to send a maintenance person out just to find a breaker box anyway.

Apparently, the people I pay to maintain my property don't really feel like helping me find the fucking breaker box, or helping me get my power back on in any timely fashion. Bastards.

Where's my fucking renter's union?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. If it's still out on Wednesday, I'll take a look at it.

Lisa B. said...

Look for the breaker box in a closet ... or perhaps it's in the neighboring apartment?

Also: You should post this over at Trembicky.com: "Bad Landlords We have Known": http://www.trembicky.com/

elsacapuntas said...

ooh, i've never seen that site. thanks for the link. but what's up with tenant.net? it has to be the worst-designed site since the "blink" tag was first used.

Lisa B. said...

tenent.net appears to be just an ad machine ...