Tuesday, September 11, 2007

fun instead of unpacking

Last night Dick and I were feeling a bit down (living in an new city isn't always easy, you know), so we decided to eschew inside duties like unpacking for evening fun-seeking.

Stop one was the new favorite local Irish pub, which has proven to have the best selection of beer on tap in our 'hood, if not great (one of the disappointments of Beantown has been the mediocre selection at the drinking establishments). The bartender told us they will soon be installing a cooler for bottled beer that will further augment the choices. It's also dark, smelly, and lets people bring their pet dogs in. I like this; Dick is a little wary, but after a couple of pints even he can't deny the cuteness of a friendly doggy.

Next we tried a little Salvadoran restaurant, which proved to have a great menu and the cheapest food I've seen in town yet. Dick got two cheese pupusas for $3 and could not stop talking about how delicious they were for the rest of the night.

Then we hopped the T to the Esplanade. I was astounded by how beautiful it was, and how amazing the view of the Charles, Cambridge, and Boston at night. We walked until my feet started hurting (still healing from their adjustment to much more walking) and then back to home and to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving to a big new scary city is big and scary, as LMT and I can attest. I hope you guys are doing okay. New pubs and new cheap food helps to smooth the transition. As do exciting adventures on new mass transit systems.

Lisa B. said...

Good rapid transit rocks so hard.

So do pupusas. Did you ever eat at El Cuscatleco while you were in Durham? It's got yummy pupusas.

elsacapuntas said...

Thanks for the encouragement, HT!

I had never been to El Cuscatleco, though we had talked often about going there. Sort of like Asheville - I can't believe I moved away from the state without ever going there.