Wednesday, July 19, 2006

photoness


Image005
Originally uploaded by elsacapuntas.
I decided today that I want to create a website for my photos (this is the sort of idea I come up with when bored in a meeting), sort of as a start to preparing for applying to MFA programs. Thus, I have uploaded ten black and white photos I did a while back for the world to see. Luckily, it seems that the largest jpeg I really would want to have is a relatively small file, but I"m still thinking about signing up for Flickr Pro account for the hosting. That way I wouldn't have any limits on how many files I could upload and bandwidth and all that crap. Anyone out there have experience using Flickr as a hosting service?

It turns out, though, that when I initially created these files in the high-tech fashion of lying photographs on the ground and making digital "slides" of them with a digital camera, I didn't have the camera set to record at a high enough resolution to makes these things look ok. I can't remember how I resized them, but at full size these they look like ass. Any suggestions out there for how to do this better next time? Getting the color right for black and white photos in a digital version is a pain in the ass, too, because despite what the name suggests, black and white photo papers have different tints to them. This one is "warm," and thus a bit greenish.

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

Well, one way to get around the looking-like-ass problem is to jusyt not upload them that big. They really don't need to be huge.

As for getting the color right, no matter how you digitize it you will not get perfect color tone because scanners and digital cameras all have their own color casts. My camera, for example, way oversaturates reds and magentas. I'v used scanners that have a defininte blue color cast and some that have a red one. The only solution would be to use editing software to correct the colors to what you want them to be.

I think flickr would be a good photo hosting solution. There are others (I've tried 23 and zooomr, too, but I haven't tried posting from them to a blog.)