Friday, March 17, 2006

attack of the estrogen

I blame the warm whether last week. It has kicked my hormones into hypermode and caused me to act like a cat in heat, except instead of wanting to hump everything in site, I have the overwhelming desire to act out my stereotypical gender role. And I don't mean the missionary position. I mean shopping.

Symptom #1: Obsessive reading of girlie blogs like Dress a Day and You Knit What?? The latter is pretty hilarious, especially since I started to knit a few months ago and finally feel like there is a wise, cranky voice to explain the preponderance of horrible knitting patterns in the world. In searching the archives I also happened to find a nasty critque of a pattern I had been planning to make, and now I'm thanking the gods of snarkiness for showing me the True Way.

Symptom #2: Relapse into fashion obsession. YES, I ADMIT IT, I CAN'T FUCKING HELP BEING BOURGIE. Sometimes I feel like acquiring a wardrobe that consists entirely of amazingly utilitarian clothing like the classic work jumpsuit, and then I start reading something like Dress a Day and my love for things like clean lines and pants with lining is rekindled. And then I visit the Ann Taylor Loft website and want to spend all my money on a tweed front slit skirt and I just feel dirty.

No comments: