Monday, November 14, 2005

yet another reason to buy records

I've done a considerable amount of record-buying lately - at least, considerable for me, as I've always been a bit behind the curve of average record collector purchashing. But I attended the annual WFMU Record Fair in NYC and the grand opening of a new record store in Southern Ex-Industrial Town on consecutive Saturdays, and the result is a pretty good stack of vinyl.

I'm sure glad I didn't waste my money on CDs, especially those recently released by Sony. It seems the clever people at Sony included in their CDs software that secretly installed a rootkit that both alowed Sony to spy on users' online activities and created a weakness hackers can exploit. Story here.

Also, an extensive discussion some years ago resulted in the conclusion that records are a superior weapon to CDs when slung, frisbee-style, at high velocities.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it, then, you've seen Shaun of the Dead

elsacapuntas said...

damn, i totally forgot about that scene. the aforementioned record vs. cd discussion, however, occurred before Shaun of the Dead.

it should be noted that vinyl should only be used as a weapon a) against zombies and b) when the music recorded on the vinyl is exceptionally terrible.

Anonymous said...

SADE?!